Thursday, May 29, 2008

Can't Breathe

Do you ever feel as if you're not in sync with the universe? Like Sara Bareilles says, (paraphrased) your head is underwater and people are telling you to breathe easy? Take my experiences recently, for instance...(poor, poor me).

The other day my neighbor decides to tell me that my daughter is missing too much school (they have no idea Bean's had major health problems)--Huh, OK, thanks? How do they know...I don't even know where to start, but this is strange on so many levels.

A family member, in an argument says to me, "Yeah, well you're on Prozac so YOU have issues"--True, but need it be said? I think not.

My son, a 7th grader, was suspended for a week for "plagiarism". (I put it in quotes because it is such an insane accusation.) He copied and pasted a quote from the internet, left it in an blatantly different font than the rest of his paper, and forgot to cite the author's name...and they called him a cheater, a plagiarist. I voiced my disappointment with the school's ruling and now they won't talk to me--REALLY? Did that REALLY happen? Oh, and then he had a panic attack because he was told he could be expelled-- He will be living in a bubble from now on.

Bean, my daughter, was diagnosed with Low Panic Fear Index Asthma. No, she can't just have regular asthma. You know how kids will tell you their most instinctive needs like, "Mom, I'm hungry," or "I need to go to the bathroom," or "Hey I can't breathe!" But with her condition, Bean will turn blue and pass out before she realizes there is a problem. DANGER WILL ROBINSON! So it's been like this: Me--Can you breathe? Bean--Yes. Me--Are you sure? Bean--Uh huh. Me--Can you breathe now? Bean--I think so. Me--What does that mean? Bean--Mom. Me--Yes? Bean--Leave me alone! Me--OK, but can you breathe?


So, while pitying myself instead of pitying myself, I try to remember what else is going on out there in the world that's greater than my woes. Music is my therapy and if any lyrics and music capture the essence of what is more important than me, myself and I, it is those of Dan Reed. Dan Reed's new album: Coming Up For Air is being released soon. It is my favorite "remember to breathe" ritual.

No comments :